Monday, August 31, 2015

A Dear Composer Who Felt Like a Dear Friend





I was heartbroken last week when I discovered that my favorite composer, James Horner, had passed away. There is no way to describe what his music has meant to me. I have had affection for it since I was young, singing tunes like "Somewhere Out There" over and over again. "If We Hold On Together" was the song I taught myself how to play the piano to. Truly this man's music has had major impacts on my life in so many ways.



Over the years I have discovered time and again that the musical scores that speak to me the most are usually those composed by James Horner. "Casper", "Legends of the Fall", "Braveheart", "Glory", all of these and more.



His music has a way of affecting me. It drips with emotion, and helps relieve my empathetic heart. Each note seems to strike a place deep down inside of me, awakening something within me. It's as though my soul wants to leap for joy for it is hearing something familiar, as though from another life. I feel like I can wrap his music around me like a lovely warm blanket on a cold winters night. I revel in it's security and it's promise that there is peace and beauty in this world. Even at my darkest moments this promise was always able to reach me.



Knowing now I will never hear another score written by this man causes a sadness I can't explain. But I have his music here on Earth with me still. And one day, when I get to the other side, I'll be sure to search him out and have him play his lovely compositions for me then.



Thank you for the wonderful gift you gave me throughout your life here on this Earth Mr. Horner. I will always cherish your wonderful music.

No comments:

Post a Comment