Sunday, July 20, 2014

Be Prepared

The last weekend in June I volunteered to participate in disaster simulations up at an Emergency Birth Retreat. I was prepared to spend a mostly sleepless night in a tent, but was shocked to find I would have my own room in a beautiful home. It was amazing. I wasn't needed right away when I first go there, so I just went to my room, and was left alone in silence with nothing to do but study and read. It was just what a needed.



I settled in to bed and drifted off to sleep. The next thing I know it's 2:00 AM and I'm being awoken by sirens and men yelling that it's time to get up. Not know how much time I had to prepare I grabbed my sweat shirt and flip flops and walked out the door. I of course forgot that 2:00 AM in the mountains means complete darkness, so I stumbled around on my way to the pavilion. I'm glad I found the bridge easy enough. It would not have been fun to take a drowsy tumble into a creek in the middle of the night.

Once at the pavilion I learned we were supposed to have changed our clothes and put on good shoes (oops). I made an attempt to head back to my room to change, but I had not light, and I didn't dare to make the trip again.

The night started out with everyone pitching in to make a shelter for our medical supplies. We had a time limit, so it was completed but we had to move on. Everyone was split up into groups and the first round of simulations began. For the for one I played a bystander. I followed the group up to a "car wreck". At first I wasn't sure of my role, and I was ready to be a full on participant. I got to the scene ready to pull out all my EMT training and then. . .my mind went blank. Ummm. . .what do I do again. Come on, Tricia, seriously? You memorized this and went over it a million times. I was a little relieved when I was told as a bystander I couldn't do anything unless they asked. So I stood on the side lines and I began to drill myself. Then suddenly I remembered what to do. Soon standing on the side lines became more difficult. I wanted to jump in and take charge. I was ready. I never got my opportunity, but that moment was enough to show me what I could be capable of. We started to take the victim back to the pavilion as the simulation came to a close. To my great relief the walk back went right by the house I had slept in. I could change my clothes, grab some good shoes and get my phone to use as a light. Phew! That was a relief.

The next simulation they asked me to play a frantic bystander who witnessed someone have a seizure. I was nervous about how well I would do, but quickly gained confidence when one of the supervisors told me, "Damn girl! You're a good actress! Give you the academy award!" Apparently those few years in theater paid off, and perhaps I should have stuck with it a little longer.

The next round of simulations would have me playing a burn victim.


  This was quite interesting because the participants had to do a chair carry to get me back to the pavilion. I felt bad for those have to carry me, and I was a little nervous at times myself. One of the the times they lost their grip and I fell into a door frame. I caught myself with my wrist which ended up hurting for the rest of the trip. Thankfully I have oils and Dr. Christopher's tissue and bone on my side.

I was also supposed to get an IV on this one. This was not something I was prepared for. Since my c-section IV, and such, have sort of become trauma triggers. Even if it did trigger something I knew I could probably keep a handle on it, but I was still relieved when they asked me, "Do you want to be poked or do you just want us to pretend?" I explained the woman in charge when I asked them to just pretend, and she told me that was totally fine.

We took some breaks here and there.


At one break we sat down for breakfast. . .

The army guys taught as all about how to prep these "wonderful" meals. To tell you the truth I don't know why I ate as much as I did. It didn't ever really sit right. But it's better than nothing. Especially in a disaster situation.

The next simulation I was a participant. This one was quite interesting. We approached a situation where there was a man with a "gun". The man came towards us and our security guy told us to run. I ran and hid behind the speed limit sign. It made me realize just how quickly it all could end. It's crazy to think about.

We also had to do CPR on someone for 3 minutes. This isn't an easy thing to do, but I was surprised to find that the three minutes passed quickly and I wasn't even tired.

Over all this was a great experience. Great people! Great information! And it was great for me to learn some new things about myself.


It's so funny as I feel my Heavenly Father nicely push me towards careers in healthcare. I have wanted to be a paramedic since I was in Jr. High, and I've shown interest in the medical and psychological fields all throughout my life. He has constantly led me to this path, but I've never taken it. I was afraid I wasn't strong enough to handle the stress of these situations. But this retreat helped me to see just how well equipped I am for these types of things. It totally freaks me out that if the big earth quake hits, as a medical professional, they'll probably come knocking at my door telling me I'm needed. But at the same time it excites me too. It won't be easy, but I know I can do, and I know it's where I belong.

Another funny story about this retreat. When all was finally over I went back to the house to wash up and head home. I ran into one of the midwives who needed a ride. After making some decisions about which direction to head in we were on our way. We drove out of East Canyon, down Parleys, got on 215 and headed to American Fork. When we got to AF we made a terrible discovery. She had left her wallet at the retreat. We tried to get a hold of someone, but that wasn't working. The only thing we could do was drive back up there. So that's what we did. It was actually really nice. She proved to be an amazing traveling companion and we became fast friends. I love a good excuse to just sit and visit with someone and so it didn't bother me at all. So we got everything, and she found a place to stay and all was well. Well then I got home and realized I had left my backpack up at the retreat. My backpack that contained all my notes for my homework assignments. Even after a repeat trip up there I still couldn't notice my backpack was missing and grab it. Luckily someone else brought it down for me. Thank you! :)



Over all though I could feel my Heavenly Father's hand in this whole trip, and that was absolutely amazing.

I'm just awe struck at what he is asking of me lately. He keeps telling me it's time to take steps forward, it's time to start becoming a leader, it's time for you to go and help others now. He tells me this and I just am shocked. Shirley I am not ready for this. Can't you see how inadequate I am? But as I step up to the plate. As I enter careers that may put me in situations I don't think I can handle. As I begin to teach classes even though I'm completely certain I don't have the skills to do so. I can see that this is what I'm supposed to do. It's incredibly hard, but I know I am on the right path. I know I am following His plan for me, and because I am doing so I am seeing the blessings come pouring in.



I am so glad to receive these affirmations, and I am so glad I am who I am and that I was chosen to be a part of so many great things.

No comments:

Post a Comment